Sunday, May 25, 2008

Operation Stop With The Bop, Part 2

Outcome: More success than failure.

Yesterday we decided to soldier on in the attempt to break Luca's Bop addiction. Mornings are usually ok for her as long as she can keep The Bop through the morning diaper change. So we brought her downstairs and let her Bop away until it was time to go visit our friend Lindsey. I even let her keep The Bop in the car, but as soon as we got to Lindsey's brother's house, she got distracted by all the people and other kids, and I was able to steal it from her mouth and hide it. Linds and I took Luca with us to get coffee, and aside from the fact that she tossed enough pastry and scone crumbs on the sidewalk to feed a family of birds for a week, I saw no sign of Bop withdrawl. By the time we girls were done there, Luca passed out in the car, and then woke again when we got back to Linds's brother's house. She did fine still without The Bop, as there were 3 other (absolutely gorgeous) little girls for her to watch attentively. And she continued to do fine through the drive home and her morning nap. She did have The Bop with her in the crib, but we're taking baby steps here.

When she woke from her nap, we packed her up and went to get my mom so we could go to the zoo. It was unseasonably pleasant outside yesterday, since we'd had 2 days of 75 degree weather and rain in a row (I wouldn't have believed that was POSSIBLE in the end of May in AZ!), so we decided some time outdoors was in order. Luca made the trip to the zoo without assistance of The Bop, and managed to ride around in her red wagon for almost 3 hours without it as well. On our way home, we stopped at Pita Jungle, and she still did fine. In the car between the zoo and dinner, she was smacking her lips to my mom (who sat in back next to her). We're pretty sure she was trying to send my mom a message that she wanted The Bop, but at least it was through cuteness and not tears.

So, here we were at the end of the day, and Luca had done pretty well with her limited Bop time. But then....well...then came bedtime. She was sleepy and rubbing her eyes, so I carried her up to her crib. It was my intention to lay her down without a Bop and see if she would just fall asleep. No such luck. Her body hit the crib matress, she started making little fish faces in frantic search for her Bop, and then she let out a screech to end all screeches. I may have been able to stay strong, but out of the corner of my eye I noticed a Bop at the far end of the crib. Without thinking, I grabbed it, plopped it into her mouth, she sighed and rolled over, and she was out for the count.

No comments:


Blog Widget by LinkWithin