Friday, February 6, 2009

Hap Birday Mama!

Last week was my birthday, and birthdays aren't exactly something toddlers really grasp. We went to my in-laws' house for a birthday dinner on Saturday, and then stayed to watch the UFC fights. My mother in law made a cake for dessert, so while we were watching Georges St. Pierre's abs...er punching skills...she and Luca were decorating the cake with icing and too many candles to be mentioned here.

Apparently, my mother in law kept telling Luca it was my birthday cake, and to wish me a 'Happy Birthday, Mama'. Luca would mimic this phrase when she heard Grandma say it, but she seemed to forget it a moment later. Still, endearing, right?

Fast forward to Monday. I'm sitting on the recliner working, and Luca's playing with her Legos ("Pay Yego?" she says over and over, and then, "Pay Yego, Mama. Yuca Pay Yego.") on the floor in front of me.

Suddenly, she comes up and hands me a Lego creation she put together all by herself:



She was grinning ear to ear as she handed it to me and said, clear as day, "Hap Birday, Mama!"

This, of course, caused my pregnant, hormonal self to break out in tears. To which she puffed out her lower lip, cocked her head to the side, put her hand on my cheek and said, "No crying, Mama. No crying."

(If you guessed this made me cry more, you are a wise person or possibly pregnant yourself and thus very empathetic to my situation.)

Turns out 'Lego Cake made by Luca' is now the best birthday present I have ever been given.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww, I am almost crying just reading that. Best Present ever, for sure!!!!

Brandi said...

That is SO sweet! That would by my favorite present, too. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin