Friday, January 25, 2008

It's on! I'm taking it off.

No, sluts, not my clothes. The baby weight.

Yes. Baby weight. I still have some - ok, lots - to lose. I'm not quite ready to share a number or anything, but suffice it to say there have been 2 fallicies about pregnancy weight gain/loss I've noticed:

1. "Breastfeeding will help the pounds just MELT off!".
This one bugs me on many levels. Let me just say that, for me, eating lots and lots of protein has been a necessary evil since having Luca because my supply was low. Breastmilk is basically fat, protein, and water. Getting plenty of those 3 things = making more milk. I already had plenty of fat, and I drink a lot of water...but as someone who only eats chicken, and even that is rare, eating enough protein was my problem. So I get it from eggs, cheese, and things like yogurt. Yep. Super un-weightloss-friendly.

This one also bugs me because it makes we post-baby women who are working hard to breastfeed feel like maybe we're doing something wrong. I don't really eat fast food. We rarely go out to eat now that we have a baby, and when we do, it's fairly healthy. I don't snack all day. So what am I doing wrong? Who knows.

Now, I've also had people tell me that when I wean Luca I can expect about 10 pounds to just disappear. Given my track record with those sorts of claims, I'm not betting on it, though.

2. "9 months on, 9 months off."
This is an old adage you hear a lot, and unless my body is going to miraculously heed the breastfeeding message and make the pounds melt away in the next 2 weeks, it's not going to hold true for me either.

People will tell pregnant women that it "took you 9 months to gain the weight, so it's going to take 9 months to lose it", and I SO wish that was true. However, for me, most of the weight gain came in weeks 24-40, so I guess maybe I can remain hopeful that most of the weight loss will come now? Or not.

SO....2 weeks ago I decided to make a commitment to losing the last of the baby weight. And...well...so far it's really slow going. So I've returned to an old friend who helped me out before: Weight Watchers. I am now a WW online member. I logged in and signed up this morning, and seeing my BMI was motivation enough to make me cough up the $$$.

Wish me luck. I'm taking it off, and I can't wait to see the new me!

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I was thinking about WW online... Not sure how committed I am. Plus I'm poor, and I don't want to pay for it. But I'm also fat. Pretty sure I'd rather be poor and skinny than poor and fat.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin